Thursday, April 26, 2007

Humanist Manifesto


Lately, studying for chemistry tends to lead me to other passions. An example, if you will:

Pondering my core ideals and what I've learned about myself in college, I feel that the Humanist philosophy most closely matches my own, and though expected, I'm still a bit surprised at how uplifting it feels to read more about the ideology. I do have beliefs and I do appreciate spirituality, however it simply feels more right to me to believe in our connections throughout humanity versus our connections into the supernatural.

Humanists are concerned for the well being of all, are committed to diversity, and respect those of differing yet humane views. We work to uphold the equal enjoyment of human rights and civil liberties in an open, secular society and maintain it is a civic duty to participate in the democratic process and a planetary duty to protect nature’s integrity, diversity, and beauty in a secure, sustainable manner.

Thus engaged in the flow of life, we aspire to this vision with the informed conviction that humanity has the ability to progress toward its highest ideals. The responsibility for our lives and the kind of world in which we live is ours and ours alone.

That last line gives me chills. Hoooah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis