Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fresh Prince of the Eukaryotic Cell


A student turned in his cell project that I assigned the class. I gave a list of options as to what each student could choose to make for their project, and this student chose to write a short story about the organelles in a cell. Here is an excerpt:

"Hello, you may think that even the smallest of organelles, the ribosome, is not of any importance to the cell, but you're wrong! This is my story about a little organelle like me in a BIG cell! Today I was making proteins for the cell and giving them to the E.R. to fold them correctly. Suddenly, the cell went into code red! Every organelle needed to get its job done and protein was in high demand. Usually we can get stored protein from places like the vacuole but there were none left! The whole cell was working and in the confusion I was ripped from the E.R. and went flying through the cytoplasm.

I tried to swim back but I didn't have the strength. "I'm just a lowly ribosome!", I said as I tried to get back connected to the E.R. Just then, I bumped into another couple organelles who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near, the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo Homes.. To Bel-Air!" I.. pulled... up to the house at about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabby "Yo homes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kingdom I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel-Air.

I fell out of my chair laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis